Friday, February 12, 2021

The Jesus Pages: Getting Beyond the Impossible

Matthew 19: Getting Beyond the Impossible

 

             “Jesus. I just don’t think it’s possible to stay married to this person. I need a divorce. How does that fit in with your laws?”

 

             “My laws? Do you really care about my laws? Or do you want to twist them to fit with your circumstances rather than twist your circumstances to fit in with my laws? My laws were right from the beginning. I said that I made man for woman and they belong together. When they get married they should stay together. Yes, it’s tough. You have two sinners cooped up in the same space jockeying for position. If you call it impossible, then maybe it’s better to stay clear of marriage. Divorce was not an option in the marriage contract when I first wrote it. You’re just looking for an escape clause.”

 

             Now, YOU think it’s impossible that little children matter to Jesus. Are you kidding? He thinks they should be put at the front of the line. They are the essence of the kingdom of heaven. It’s not the powerful, educated, rich adults that turn His heart, because their hearts are HARD. Jesus loves the little children because they believe that anything’s possible and have a simple and pure faith in God. They do not know the word “impossible.” That’s an adult word – what a shame to become such an adult.

 

             Wealthy people: nothing wrong with having money unless you pile it up between you and Jesus. Money comes and money goes – just be careful that you are not tied to it because it will take you DOWN with it. Wealth to the left, eternal life to the right. Sometimes they work together; sometimes they don’t. Wealth can work on behalf of God, making things possible to usher others into God’s kingdom. When it becomes impossible to walk with God because of your wealth, you better have a yard sale and get rid of it!

The Jesus Pages is my journey through the New Testament in one year. I invite you to come along, read the Bible passage and leave comments. (If it's nasty or unrelated, I reserve the right to delete it.)



©2021 Debby Kratovil (kratovil@his.com)  

No comments:

Post a Comment